Into the Wild! Artwork Drop-off

It's been almost a month since the last entry! I spent the remainder of April finishing up the artwork for the exhibit. The opening reception is on Saturday, May 19 from 1:00-3:00PM at the Ontario Museum of History and Art. The exhibit will be on display from May 17 through July 15.

The last two pieces to finish were the giant lollipop sculpture and the limes oil painting. I worked on the lollipop first in case it took longer than I was anticipating. Tommy and I also spent a few days framing his photos and my drawings. Framing can be very challenging - we kept finding dust in the picture and had to carefully remove it many, many times. I was so glad I only had 3 drawings to cut mats for and frame. So glad I did the sculptures! We also had to order some D Ring picture hangers and hanging wire. We will have enough d-rings to last a long time!

Here's the finished oil painting. I finished working on it 5 days before the drop off deadline. I was worried that it wouldn't dry in time. That dark blue layer in the background was still kind of tacky when I dropped it off. I barely mixed any mediums in that color because I wanted an opaque layer of dark blue paint. I'm glad I did the other painting months ago and didn't have to stress about drying time. 

Detail shot of the painting. It was fun painting the bubbles. I wasn't sure how to make them but I'm happy with how they turned out.

The giant lollipop with Mr. Gold next to it for scale. My mom said "Your cat looks so small..." but I told her the lollipop is the bigger one. It came out to about 28" width. This one measures about 40" from the top to the bottom of the stick. To hang it I glued some craft wood plaques to the back of the cardboard and we drilled the D-rings to the wood. I hope it holds up. 🤞🤞🤞The museum will call me if they have any hanging issues.

Then we dropped off the art. I was finally able to clean up the mess in my living room and put away all the painting supplies. Now that the artwork is gone I miss it. Not the huge mess though.

Saying goodbye to my friends. The next time I see these they will be on the walls after the Museum staff work their magic.

I can't wait to see these on display! P.S. there is a lot of sculpture in this show, I saw some when we dropped off the work.

Comments

Other Posts of Interest