Return to Art Making

We're in the middle of May! This year is going too fast. I've fallen behind on my posting but I am still here. The illustrated lecture at the museum was over a week ago. I got a lot of good information listening to Daniel Foster, Executive Director of the Oceanside Museum, who discussed his philosophy on art. Here are some things that resonated with me:

Follow Your Bliss and Establish the Inner Sanctuary - many artists become distracted and influenced by other outside sources, steering them away from their true passion. Daniel encouraged everyone to protect their inner sanctuary and learn to shut out external noise.

Work Ethic is Essential - many talented artists are undisciplined or unfocused.  Learn to set work ethic standards to reveal and strengthen an artist's raw talent. As a student, one of my professor's used to tell us "I don't worry about my B students who are used to working hard all the time, I worry about my lazy A students who don't work hard enough."

Daniel Foster talked about a lot of other things and it was good to get some feedback on my work. It has been a while since I had a formal critique (like the ones I had in school every week.) I was encouraged to go big, very big like an 8 foot drawing! That might take a long time with color pencils, but I have been thinking of investing in an Icarus drawing board. Time to start saving :)

Just a reminder, my exhibit is up for one more week. The museum is open Thursday-Sunday, from Noon to 4:00 PM.

I've been working on some drawings for Reviation. These have been very fun to make!

Fancy Pig

Sexy Giraffe
Thank you for reading, see you next time.

Comments

Other Posts of Interest