Fighting Burnout and Getting Inspiration


Save the Dates - 2018 Ontario Invitational Art Exhibit - May 17, 2018 through July 15, 2018

My upcoming exhibit in 2018 will take place at the Ontario Museum of History and Art, located at 225 S. Euclid Ave., Ontario, CA 91762. I don't have the Opening Reception dates yet so sign up for my E-mail Newsletter to get the details when they are announced. I'm super excited because this year I convinced my best friend and other half, Tom Cypert, to enter his photography into the Ontario Open and he won 3rd place! Since he was one of the award winners, he has also been invited to participate in the 2018 Ontario Invitational. I'm so excited to be exhibiting together! Now I will have someone to help me with cutting mats ;)
Photo from this March when we were cutting mats for the Ontario Open. We worked as a team measuring and cutting. We were exhausted at the end of the day! 
A few weeks ago I was feeling burned out from the busy season at work. I'm a graphic designer by trade so I'm constantly working on creative projects. I've realized over the years that I work in seasons, where I put out lots of work and then after 3-4 months I need a break. Especially a mental break to recharge my creative batteries. Last year I went through the biggest burn out I've experienced to date, where I felt very unproductive, uninspired and found it hard to concentrate. Then I realized I hadn't taken that much time off of work like I did in previous years. This year I've taken a few short vacations throughout the year to avoid another major burn out.

Inspiration

One of the best ways to get re-energized and excited with new ideas is by taking vacations and day trips. This year I've been able to take multiple trips. In the spring we took an overnight trip to the desert, where we visited the Salton Sea and Borrego Springs to see the wildflower bloom. (California had a lot of rain this past winter so we had a lot of flowers.) We also went to check out Salvation Mountain, what a marvel! It was one man's 20+ year project where he built a man-made mountain out of adobe clay and donated house paints. I definitely recommend to see it if you get the chance. 
Salvation Mountain, located east of the Salton Sea 

Anza-Borrego desert 
The abandoned houses near the Salton Sea. It was an eerie feeling seeing so many empty buildings. It felt very apoctalyptic.
The Salton Sea beach
I was also in Seattle for my work's spring conference, and brought Tommy along. Over the weekend before the event we visited museums in the Seattle Center, the Space Needle, Chihuly Glass Gardens and the Pacific Science Center where they had the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit. What a treat!

Chihuly Glass Gardens, Seattle, WA



Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit
The exhibit had a recreation of how it would have looked when the tomb was uncovered
Last month we spent a few days in Big Bear Lake. It was nice to get away and relax. We stayed in a cute cabin, the property had a barn with friendly llamas and bunnies, and it was a 5 minute walk to the Village. We visited cute shops and some art galleries. We talked to a very nice photographer lady in one of the Co-op galleries and she gave us lots of advice on exhibits, prints and framing. 


There was a little trail behind the property with some beautiful views. The llama was watching us from a distance. 
Tommy taking a picture of one of the llamas.
After our trip last month I was able to recharge and feel inspired again. I know what I will be making for the exhibit next year. Right now I'm thinking color pencil drawings, and oil paintings. I also want to try dry brushing too. I'm so excited and I've begun to experiment with my color pencils. Playing with different ways of blending, using different solvents. Something I've never done before. 






Comments

Other Posts of Interest