Papier Mâché Sculpture - Tasty Sundae

Tada! The Papier Mâché sundae sculpture is finished! I had a lot of fun with this one and I learned a lot. It was challenging trying to figure out how to translate a glass cup into a 3D painted sculpture and there definitely were a few times where I thought I ruined the piece 😱.

I spent lots of time looking at photos of desserts and ice cream in glass and paintings of glass objects. Although it's not hyper realistic, I'm happy with how it turned out. To my advantage it has been warm the last few days so I was able to add lots of quick-drying layers of Modge Podge gloss. I love how the chocolate syrup and the cherry turned out, especially the white painted highlights. I will definitely apply whatever I learned to the glazed donut I'm still working on. Mmmm.

Close up view of the top of the sundae. Mmm chocolate!
The finished project. It stands at about 20" tall.
I came across this amazing papier mache artist Sarah Cox when I was doing my research and looking for inspiration. I'm in love with her whimsical pieces! She is also on Facebook. Those are some amazing skills and she has such a unique rich, textured style.

Comments

Other Posts of Interest